Go Inside the Ink to See What’s New in Cybersecurity and Threat News This Week
NEW THIS WEEK IN CYBERSECURITY AND THREAT NEWS: MUST-READ BLOGS
SPECIAL EDITION: BACK TO SCHOOL CYBERSECURITY THREAT WEEK!
- Cybersecurity Marketing: 3 Wins for MSPS & Back to School
- Student Data Breach Danger Also Impacts Businesses
- The Week in Breach: Cybersecurity and Breach News 8/12/20 – 8/18/20
- Why Phishing Resistance Training for Students is a Must-Have for Businesses
- 10 Facts About the State of Cybersecurity Education (and Why That Matters to Your Business)
We publish new posts every weekday featuring cybersecurity and threat news, insight, analysis, and solutions to help you prepare for the threats of tomorrow. BOOKMARK IT>>
THE THREAT OF THE WEEK & HOW TO STOP IT
Blackbaud Data Breach Illustrates the Risk of Data Danger From Third Party Cybersecurity Incidents.
The butterfly effect applies to cybersecurity and threat news too – and a recent breach at fundraising software and services provider Blackbaud has sent shockwaves around the world.
When you contract another company to provide an essential service, you expect that they’re not only going to use their expertise to fill your need, they’re also going to keep your information safe. Unfortunately, that’s increasingly proving to be a challenge – and a risk for every business.
For example: universities, alumni associations, professional groups, charities, trusts, hospitals, foundations, museums, schools – all sorts of institutions that draw an operating budget from fundraising support have been impacted by the ransomware attack that rocked Blackbaud in late May 2020.
Although the company has been cagey about exactly what happened and how much data was stolen, cybersecurity news reports have generally agreed that the partially-thwarted ransomware incident resulted in the donor information of hundreds of non-profits ending up in the hands of cybercriminals.
Paying the ransom is no guarantee that your data will be safely returned – there’s no honor among thieves. Blackbaud ended up paying the cybercriminal gang a substantial ransom for the key to decrypt the portion of their database that was frozen in the attack, but there’s no proof that the information wasn’t sold or copied before the encryption key was delivered.
The company has also compounded the damage by shrouding the entire incident in secrecy. A class-action lawsuit was just filed for malpractice. Not only has its reputation been damaged in the non-profit sector, but it will likely also incur substantial fines for missing the GDPR reporting deadline and other mistakes.
The impact is still becoming apparent as the ripple effect spreads. Over 200 large and small charitable organizations in the US and UK have been affected, from Britain’s National Trust (including a particularly ironic hit at Bletchley Park) to the Vermont Food Bank. The damage is still being assessed and the fallout is expected to continue for months.
This third-party breach was a disaster for non-profits, but the same thing can happen to any business. In an increasingly dangerous threat landscape with a huge increase in Dark Web activity and phishing attacks, protecting a company’s data and systems from cybercriminals armed with data that they obtained from another breach is a major cause for concern.
Immediately deploy a multifunctional secure identity and access management solution that allows you to control the gateways into the heart of your business with cybersecurity essentials like:
- Multifactor Authentication Stop a compromised password from opening the door to your data by requiring a second form of identification to log in, like a code delivered by an app that cybercriminals won’t have access to.
- Single Sign-on – Eliminate the headaches of security flaws and permissions mistakes (not to mention constant password resets) by assigning each employee their own unique launchpad that also allows tech staff to turn off that user’s access to everything fast if it becomes compromised.
- Secure Password Storage Vaults – You know what cybercriminals love more than a user password? An administrator password. Keep highly privileged passwords like administrator credentials and server logins extra safe in a secured password storage vault that can only be accessed by certain staffers.
Growing season is in full swing. Get expert sales and marketing tips to help your MSP prosper to thrive in any economy now!
JOIN US THIS WEEK FOR CONNECT IT GLOBAL
AUGUST 24 -29, 2020
It’s finally here – and we did promise a few last-minute surprises. We’ve made some tweaks to the agenda to make it even more exciting! Get ready to take advantage of unbeatable education, certification, and networking opportunities, plus contests, prizes, entertainment, and fun – and you know we’ve got a few more surprises in store! Don’t miss it!
- NEW PANEL! Learn about one of today’s biggest cyberattack threats from master hackers who’ll show you how it’s done – and how you can stop it. You’ve got to catch CREDENTIAL STUFFING: HOW ONE COMPROMISED CREDENTIAL LEADS TO DISASTER.
- 90% of all cybersecurity incidents that end in a data breach start with a phishing email. Explore today’s biggest threat with experts and find out more about the future of phishing defense at GO PHISHING: DETECTING ADVANCED, PERSISTENT PHISHING THREATS.
- GET CERTIFIED IN 2 SESSIONS! Grow your business and your clients’ confidence when you become Certified Dark Web ID & BullPhish ID Administrator and/or a Certified Passly Administrator
- We promised exciting news and surprises, and we aim to deliver. THE ID AGENT 2020 ROADMAP with ID Agent CEO and General Manager of Security Services at Kaseya, Kevin Lancaster is the must-see panel of the event, because we’ve got some awesome things in store for you!
- Find your way to a more successful future as we explore “Vision, Innovation, and Execution” with Channel leaders and SMEs who are ready to share their secrets to MSP success!
SPACE IS LIMITED AND WE ONLY HAVE A FEW VIRTUAL SEATS LEFT! RESERVE YOUR SEAT NOW
OMG, THAT’S YOUR PASSWORD?
See the 3 worst ways to generate a password and 3 ways to make good passwords.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT LAST WEEK MSPs: Ready to shed your disguise as a mild-mannered MSP and transform into a Sales and Marketing Superhero? THIS EBOOK WILL SHOW YOU HOW!>>
ID AGENT’s Digital Risk Protection Platform and Security Awareness Training empowers every business to fight back against Dark Web threats!
Join forces with us to gain access to our industry-leading sales and marketing support – we’ll even join you on tough sales calls!
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!