Cybersecurity News & Analysis
What’s on our cybersecurity radar this week? Ransomware, third-party risk, outbound data breach threats, and more!
- Is Your Company Really at Risk for Business Cyberattacks
- Graphus Named in 2020 Gartner Market Guide for Email Security
- Cybersecurity News: The Ink This Week 11/06/20
- Ransomware Up 33% in 2020 Q2 Alone Says IBM
- Third Party Risk is Worse Than You Think
- Remote Workers Increase Outbound Data Breach Risk
- The Week in Breach Cybersecurity News 11/04/20 – 11/10/20
CYBERSECURITY NEWS: THE THREAT OF THE WEEK & HOW TO STOP IT
Unexpected Malicious Insider Threats Pack a Punch
When we consider insider threats, they’re pretty easily sorted into two categories: malicious and unintentional. While data breaches and other cybersecurity issues are significantly more likely to be caused by unintentional acts like falling for a phishing email or sending someone the wrong file, malicious insider threats can be a little more complicated – and some can be very unexpected.
It seems logical to assume that malicious insiders are people who seek employment with your company to steal data or commit sabotage, maybe even cybercriminals looking for easy ways to facilitate their schemes. Sometimes, these bad actors are using your business to facilitate cybercrime-related activity that might fly a little more under the radar like business email compromise scams or data laundering. But malicious insider threats go a step further than that when you look at the slipperiest kind: formerly loyal employees who suddenly turn on the company.
Unmasking Undercover Risks
These are the most heartbreaking and damaging malicious insiders. Not only will these folks cause your business material damage, but they’ll also cause less quantifiable damage to you and your team. Keeping an eye out for threats like this isn’t fun, but it’s necessary. Here are a few scenarios that describe the kind of situations that can quickly spawn unexpected malicious insider threats.
- A higher-level position opens up. A longtime staffer really wants it, but you don’t think they’re right for the job, so you hire a new employee. Unfortunately, your longtime staffer is now upset and angry, so he decides to steal records to sell to your rival.
- A trusted employee has a secret gambling problem. She’s not disgruntled about the company or her job, but she needs money fast to support her habit and knows that selling her password to your database on the Dark Web will net her a pretty penny.
- After a dispute over performance, one of your sales staff turns in their notice. That employee is hurt and angry that you’re not giving them the money that they think they deserve, so they plant malware in your systems on their last day to cause business disruption.
- In this real-life example, a privileged employee who was responsible for servicing staff laptops used that access as an opportunity to steal personal and financial information from other employees including nude photos, passwords for social media, pictures of credit cards, driver’s licenses, and sensitive documents.
Watching out for these types of threats is an ongoing battle, but we can provide you with some weapons to help you spot and stop them.
Is your biggest security risk already inside the building? Learn to spot and stop insider threats in this resource package, including an eBook and whitepaper!
What can I do to protect my business from damage caused by suddenly malicious insiders?
By using some of the features in these solutions, you can detect malicious insiders more quickly and protect your company from damage effectively.
Secure identity and access management is your best friend in this situation because it provides you with multiple ways to detect and limit the damage.
- If someone’s selling their password, multifactor authentication makes that password useless without identity confirmation with a separate code or token.
- Single sign-on LaunchPads allow you greater control over your access points, making it easy to see exactly who is accessing applications and data and what they’re doing to keep an eye out for unexpected activity.
- Simple remote management means that you have the freedom to easily add and remove permissions through LaunchPad, enabling you to quickly isolate a compromised LaunchPad or revoke access permissions as needed in a flash
- Secure shared password vaults put an extra layer of protection between your company’s most sensitive passwords for systems like servers and the average user so that one compromised password isn’t the key to the whole kingdom.
- SEE A DEMO VIDEO OF PASSLY IN ACTION
- Contact the experts at ID Agent today to schedule a demo of Passly and learn how it can protect your business affordably.
NEW RESOURCES & EVENTS
RANSOMWARE THREATS REQUIRED READING
Ransomware has been the big cybersecurity villain in 2020. This nasty offshoot of phishing can pack a big punch, leading to everything from production shutdowns to data loss. But we’re here to help with these resources to help secure your systems and data against ransomware.
- Read our eBook Ransomware 101 for an introduction to ransomware threats in 2020 and how to guard against them. GET THE EBOOK>>
- Get quick facts and statistics about ransomware threats on our Top 10 Ransomware Facts List. SEE THE LIST>>
- Ransomware is the poisoned cargo that comes with a phishing attack. Go inside the anatomy of a phishing attack and how to defend against it in this webinar “Phishing Confidential: Offensive and Defensive Playbooks of a Phishing Attack”. WATCH THIS WEBINAR>>
Contact the experts at ID Agent today to get help protecting your business from ransomware threats fast and schedule a demo of our solutions!
See how to enlist your staff in the fight against ransomware to transform them into your biggest security asset! WATCH THE WEBINAR>>
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT LAST WEEK: Get the latest information detailing upgrades, updates, and features you’re going to love from ID Agent in our Q3 Update recording! LISTEN NOW>>
The Post-Pandemic Dark Web is a Whole New World of Danger. It’s Still Our Backyard. Let Us Show You Around.
Our Partners typically realize ROI in 30 days or less. Contact us today to learn why 3,000 MSPs in 30+ countries choose to Partner with ID Agent!
See our innovative, cost-effective digital risk protection platform in action.
Contact us to schedule a one-on-one call to see how we can grow your business.
Our Partners and Channel colleagues have valuable insight into cybersecurity today – and great stories to tell! Contribute a guest post to our blog and let’s hear all about it!