These 10 Facts About Passwords Illustrate the Danger of Password Pitfalls
One of any company’s most precious commodities is its passwords. When cybercriminals get one through any means including phishing, they have a key to your front door – and right to the heart of your business if they snatch a privileged credential. Bad passwords and exposed passwords notch up the risk of a disaster – and so does poor password hygiene. Password risk is a real minefield for businesses. Our original list of password facts showed just how much risk businesses face from password pitfalls. Here are 10 more facts about passwords that you’ll want to see before adding a new secure identity and access management solution.
Give your clients the cold, hard facts that tell the tale of exactly how much danger their business is in. GET THIS FREE BOOK>>
10 More Facts about Passwords That You’ll Want to See
- Microsoft says that 99.9% of password-based threats can be stopped with multifactor authentication.
- Credentials were the top type of information stolen in data breaches worldwide in 2020.
- Approximately 60% of data breaches involve improper use of credentials.
- Over 40% of respondents in a 2020 study said that their organization had been compromised because of a bad, stolen or cracked password.
- An overwhelming majority of passwords fit into one of 20 common categories.
- More than 40% of organizations rely on sticky notes for password management.
- 82% of workers admitted sometimes reusing the same passwords and credentials.
- An estimated 60% of passwords that appeared in more than one breach in 2020 were recycled or reused.
- Almost 25% of breaches were the result of credential stuffing in 2020.
- About three-quarters of employees reuse work passwords for their personal accounts.
Learn how to ward off the terrifying monsters of cybersecurity to keep systems and data safe in a dangerous world! READ IT IF YOU DARE!>>
Fast Password Creation Facts
Employees will choose memorability over security when making a password every time. That’s why we thought you’d probably also want to see these facts about how bad passwords are born. Forbes reports that most passwords originate from these groups – 59% of Americans use a person’s name or family birthday in their passwords, 33% include a pet’s name and 22% use their own name. Oh, and the average user reuses that bad password about 14 times!
Based on our analysis of the top 250 passwords that we found using Dark Web ID to guard against credential exposure, these categories of information were used to generate the weakest passwords: Names, Sports, Food, Places, Animals and Famous People/Characters.
The Most Common Passwords by Category
- Names: maggie
- Sports: baseball
- Food: cookie
- Places: Newyork
- Animals: lemonfish
- Famous People/Characters: Tigger
Top 20 Most Common Passwords Found on the Dark Web
50% of IT pros do not believe their organization is prepared to repel a ransomware attack. Is yours? Build stronger defenses with the strategy in Ransomware Exposed. DOWNLOAD NOW>>
Don’t Let Password Shenannigans Be Your Security Downfall with Passly
Now that you’ve absorbed 10 more facts about passwords, you’re probably wondering how you can increase password security without breaking the bank. Putting powerful access management in place is simple and affordable – and you don’t even need to buy more than one solution. Passly packs everything that businesses need to secure their systems and data the right way into one powerhouse package that starts protecting your business immediately. Plus, you’ll never spend time waiting on a password reset again!
- Multifactor Authentication (MFA)
- Single Sign On (SSO)
- Secure shared password vaults
- Automated password resets
- An amazing value
- And so much more!
We’re ready to help you take your organization’s password security to the next level with Passly, one essential building block in the ID Agent Digital Risk Protection Platform. Don’t roll the dice with password security for another day. Contact our solutions experts and let’s get started!
Our Partners typically realize ROI in 30 days or less. Contact us today to learn why 3,850 MSPs in 30+ countries choose to Partner with ID Agent!
Is your password compromised? Find out in seconds!
Book your demo of Dark Web ID, BullPhish ID and Passly now!