The Ongoing Impact of COVID-19 Makes Remote Workforce Support the Focus for CISO Top Priorities
We all experienced major changes in the way we live and work in 2020. As we continue to deal with the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve discovered that some of those changes will be permanent. Between an increased focus on remote work and a cybercrime boom, the global pandemic has created a sea change in CISO top priorities A recent study has spelled out what CISOs are focusing on in fall 2020 and beyond.
11 Fast Facts About CISO Top Priorities in 2020
- Long-term IT priorities of 70% of the respondents have changed since the start of the year
- 89% of those surveyed said cybersecurity is now considered their top priority for the rest of 2020
- The top area being considered in future planning is security, cited by 87% of respondents
- 72% of those who mentioned cybersecurity as a long-term goal said their priorities had shifted since January
- Remote enablement was cited as the top priority by 82% of the respondents
- 46% are prioritizing moving to cloud-based operations
- Improving the customer experience was the third most cited priority at 52%
- 10% are prioritizing hiring
- 42% cite updating legacy infrastructure as a major need
- Innovation is also a high priority at 46%
- 86% of those surveyed said they’re looking to improve security standards across their environment
43% of those surveyed said they’re investing in IAM ahead of such areas as endpoint security and security awareness training.
Secure Identity and Access Management (IAM) is clearly a top priority for most CISOs going forward. As companies scrambled to make the rapid transition to remote work in spring 2020, many discovered that supporting a fully remote workforce brought unexpected cybersecurity dangers.
- Home WiFi networks are rarely as safe and protected as in-office WiFi networks, creating opportunities for cybercrime.
- Remote workers are more likely to fall for phishing attempts.
- Endpoint protection doesn’t help when workers are out of the office.
- Video meetings create danger with possible credential exposure
- Password reuse and sharing is endemic
- Parents and kids sharing WiFi networks and devices create increased danger for companies
- Credential stuffing powered by Dark Web information is on the rise
- Impersonation schemes are more effective with a scattered workforce
The bottom line: Supporting a remote workforce means that companies need better protection for their data and systems than just a password.
Secure Your Gateways Anytime, Anywhere
Making the move to Secure Identity and Access Management is fast and easy with Passly. CISO priorities have also had to account for the need to make security adjustments on the fly this year. Quick to add and quick to launch, Passly adds security faster than competing solutions, with deployment in days, not weeks. Seamless integration with cloud-based applications also means that Passly is ideal for securing a remote or in-office workforce, making sure that the right people have access to the right things at the right times – and only the right people.
Passly’s flexibility allows for fluid, simple remote management, giving IT pros an edge in controlling who has access to what. With simple integration and operation, it can be rolled out fully remotely in a flash to quickly and effectively support a remote workforce. It also adds an extra layer of security between cybercriminals and your systems and data by enabling IT staffers to quickly remove access from a compromised account too, preventing further intrusion if there’s a problem.
Multifactor Authentication Blasts Credential Stuffing
Credential stuffing attacks are only going to grow worse. Over 65% of the information available today on the Dark Web can damage businesses. Bad actors have access to millions of stolen credentials on the Dark Web, with fresh ammunition added from Dark Web data dumps daily. Cheap, efficient password cracking software is widely available too. A password is no longer a good enough security measure to keep data and systems safe, no matter how many special characters you add to it.
Multifactor Authentication (MFA) is the answer to stop credential stuffing attacks. MFA requires a second credential for access, like a code delivered through an app. Even if a cybercriminal gets a staffer’s password by hook or by crook, MFA takes the power out of it, because they can’t use it without that second credential. There are many ways for users to receive credentials, so it’s easy to use MFA anytime, anywhere – and with a cost-effective solution like Passly, you get the big security boost of MFA without the big security price of other solutions.
Single Sign-on Simplifies Workflows
IT professionals have too much to manage. CISO top priorities have to include IT staff satisfaction as well as customer satisfaction. One of the biggest time sinks and stressors for IT personnel, as they try to get through constantly shifting priority lists, is the endless need to add, adjust, and remove access to applications, systems, and data for their users. The slow process of gaining access or upgrading access for users means that more people are sharing passwords, leading to a greater danger of password compromise. It’s a perfect storm that’s raining down risk on organizations.
Single Sign-on (SSO) reduces pain points. By providing each user with a unique LaunchPad, it becomes much less painful for IT staff to manage and control access to data and applications – because now, instead of tracking down who has access to administration privileges for what and delving into changing access in every business application, IT staffers just have to go into the user’s Launchpad and add them in a few clicks. Passly seamlessly integrates with more than 1000 common business applications including Office 365, Salesforce, ADP, and other tools that businesses use every day – and it can be quickly adapted to mesh smoothly with proprietary and industry-specific software.
Check off everything on your Secure Identity and Access Management wish list fast with one simple, affordable solution – Passly.
Our Partners typically realize ROI in 30 days or less. Contact us today to learn why 3,000 MSPs in 30+ countries choose to Partner with ID Agent! LEARN MORE>>
See our innovative, cost-effective digital risk protection platform in action. WATCH DEMO VIDEOS>>
Contact us to schedule a one-on-one call to see how we can grow your business. SCHEDULE IT>>
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!